Goan Fish Curry Recipe
FISH CURRY RECIPE INGREDIENTS
- Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 small onion, peeled and chopped
- 2.5cm piece of cinnamon stick
- 10g fresh ginger, peeled
- 7 large cloves of garlic, peeled
- 1-3 mild dried red chillies
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- Half a teaspoon turmeric
- Half a teaspoon garam masala
- 2 medium tomatoes, pureed
- 400ml coconut milk
- 450g firm white fish fillets, cut into large cubes
- Salt, to taste, and lots of freshly ground black pepper
Heat the vegetable oil in a large non-stick saucepan. Add the mustard seeds and, once they are popping, turn the heat down and add the onion and cinnamon. Cook the onion until golden, around 8 minutes.
Meanwhile, using a blender, make a fine paste of the ginger, garlic and chillies with 50ml water. Add this to the cooked onions along with the powdered spices. Cook until reduced, then fry over a low heat for 2 minutes or until the oil is released. Add the tomatoes and another 100ml water; cook until completely reduced and fry the paste for 4-5 minutes or until the oil comes out on top.
Stir in the coconut milk and 150ml water, bring to a gentle simmer and allow the flavours to marry and develop for 5 minutes. Add the fish and cook until done, around 4-5 minutes. Taste and adjust the seasoning, then serve...enjoy the fish curry !